Saturday 17 September 2011

Waebhav Yadav_MLP021_Self Leadership_Sep’11

I believe that for someone who is a leader, the force comes from within. Having established that, as someone who started his career earlier in life, I know, somewhere during the course of life I have exhibited Self Leadership and have always been aware of the fact that Self Leadership is important to excel further in one’s professional as well as personal life. It’s a concept that I unknowingly exercised and was able to make sense out of until after the day’s session.
I don’t believe in things unless I hear it from the horse’s mouth i.e. experience it for myself, and being the cynic that I am I analyse everything that I do & feel. Before the start of the session I was sceptical about the ‘real benefits’ from the session, benefits for which I would be willing to invest my time and attention in an activity. I wasn’t sure how Yoga, stress management exercises or relaxation techniques would help me as an individual. But as the day progressed all my inhibitions and doubts were cleared. I found out that I wasn’t alone in my concerns, to have everyone talk about their stress handling techniques was definitely a learning experience for me and I know it’s something that would help me handle stress more easily. I don’t remember the last time I felt as light as I did after the laughter yoga session. The forced laughter turned into real without me even realizing and left me free of all burdens for that period of time.
After a relatively lighter fun filled first half, the second half of the session was about introspection and the first step towards recognizing the leader within us.
In the second session I learnt that given our individual strengths and weaknesses, we have the power to excel in whatever we choose to do but what becomes an impediment in our quest is our ‘hidden competing commitment’. We all somewhere know the change that we need to bring within ourselves, but we never bring about that change. There is something within us that is stopping us to change that quality as we might enjoy it and it’s something that we don’t want to give up. That’s the hidden competing commitment to change. This session put me on the path to realize and begin amending that particular lifestyle/habit to be a success in whatever I do. This exercise not only made me realize the things that needed to be changed but also helped me chalk a plan to start the process of change. At the end of this day I was left feeling strong about myself. I figured that it is never too late to change. Now that I have realized how stress can be handled I am aware of the things I want to change to be a Self Inspired Leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment