Saturday 17 September 2011

Manu Malhotra_BLP036_SelfLeadership_Sep'11


I really find writing this blog difficult because of two reasons. One, it is hard to quantify and put down in words the immense knowledge that Anil sir shares. Second, I happened to miss second Self Leadership class, my bad and my mistake!

But I will definitely make a sincere effort to do justice to the learning I had from the first self leadership class and all that I gathered from my friends who attended second self leadership class. I will also include the key take away from the Immunity e-book shared by Anil sir.

I chose to set myself off to an interesting and promising voyage with SOIL on 23rd May 2011. A couple of days hence, I happened to attend this workshop class by Anil sir on Self Leadership. I was revealed to hidden treasure - the 6 layers of self.

The simple but highly impactful exercise of offering our guilt and negative energy to fire amongst a group of five friends really changed me as a person. I felt lighter and far more assertive. Appreciative enquiry work out was an enriching experience. I learned to appreciate the goodness which is there in every human being; we just need to have those eyes and attitude to see it. Voila, I spoke of eyes! Yes, leadership of eyes was something that really caught my attention and probably is the first thing that I have tried to implement in my life. This session on ‘leadership of eyes’ was a replica of my childhood halcyon days, when I tried to look into eyes of my parents and loved ones to understand their feelings because I did not know the language. This ability to gauge and understand others by looking into their eyes really makes a big difference. It helps you to understand unsaid feelings which most of the times are of utmost importance. Ignoring these can have devastating consequences for sure. Moving on, Leadership of ears was again phenomenal experience. The sheer genuine enthusiasm and interest that you show when people talk to you, can raise the bar and that is something that I realised from this exercise. Suddenly, people say, hey, this guy is genuinely interested in listening to my concerns and that is how you build relationships. With genuine interest comes genuine trust which goes into making of a great relationship.

The day was short and time was running by, I really wanted clock to tick a bit slower for I was enjoying every moment of this self leadership workshop. Little did I know, that I was about to witness a beautiful role-play. A simple and beautiful role-play that Anil sir made two students do, to make us understand the difference between empathy and sympathy was of high impact. It will be with my life forever. Empathy is a great asset on balance sheet of any Inspired Leader!

Now I move on to more challenging part of writing on something that I picked from my friends which they learned from second self leadership class with Anil sir. The highlight of this session was - why is it so difficult to change? What is it that comes in the way of implementing that change. That change which we believe can make us a better person, a better friend, a better human being or a better manager. This whole process mentioned in the immunity e-book has four stages. First and foremost comes the identification phase where in an individual figures out what he wants to achieve in life keeping the focus on a purpose. In the second stage an individual recognizes the deterrents that are keeping the individual away from achieving his goals. An individual then moves on to a stage where he challenges the status quo and determines reason behind him not being able to change. Finally, the individual realizes that it has been some assumptions that have kept him at a distance from achieving what he actually set out for. Hence the take-away is we need to explore and challenge our strengths to overcome these assumptions.


No comments:

Post a Comment