Saturday 17 September 2011

Tanisha Chawla_MLP014_Self Leadership_Sep'11

I walked into college thinking it would be just another day at SOIL when I would take back some experiences with me. However, this was not just any other experience, it was a very impactful day for me as everything we did that day seemed custom made for me at this point in my life. The day started with a session with Susie Ma'am and Snehal Ma'am. We started with some basic yoga techniques for relaxation and then had a discussion around stress management. We noted down our goals and stress points and the symptoms of stress in our lives. I learnt about how much stress I am carrying around with me every day and now that I was aware of it, I felt a sudden desire to get rid of it all. We then had a laughter yoga session and everyone was having a wonderful time, just laughing together, something we forget in our stressful lives. This session became highly overwhelming for me and while laughing, tears started to roll my eyes. All that stress came out and I really felt strongly aware of how bad I had been at handling it all. But this session made me realize how much I wanted to take charge of my life and just let go of all those things that disturbed me. I felt a strong urge to do well for myself and be confident about being able to lead a good stress free life.

After I got used to the overwhelming feeling, Anil Sir’s session on Self Leadership began. We spoke about ‘Immunity to Change’. He made us think about things that we want to change about ourselves. No one is perfect and at any point in time in our lives, we know that we are not happy with ourselves for whatever reason, big or small. I felt extremely grateful to SOIL at that moment for giving me this opportunity again and again to connect with myself and deep dive inside me to understand myself better than ever before. I always knew the things I wanted to change about myself but was not so well aware of it all. This exercise not only made me realize these things that needed to be changed but also helped me chalk a plan to start this process of change.

It is one thing to know what you want to change about yourself and totally another to actually bring about that change. We first need to realize what the need to change is whether we want to change or not and will we actually be able to change. What is it that we do, or not do for those changes to come about? The reason people do not change is their hidden competing commitments. Finding the root cause or mental assumptions behind those competing commitments can help us in bringing about the necessary changes.

At the end of this day I was left feeling strong about myself. I figured that it is never too late to change. Now that I have realized that stress can be handled and I am aware of the things I want to change, I really can change.

No comments:

Post a Comment