Saturday 17 September 2011

Shankar Narayan_BLP039_Self Leadership_Sep’11


September 8, 2011 was yet another day in the history of my life when I took a step forward towards understanding myself. I have always enjoyed Anil sir’s class, be it for a minute or for a day. He has a very different approach to teaching. This class made me feel nostalgic as we did something similar to what we did during our orientation program.
The day began with Anil sir describing us about the big ‘S’ and small ‘s’ in self leadership. ‘S’ stands for self and is associated with all the positives in us and the ‘s’ with all the negatives. The gap between the S we are and the S we want to be is what differentiates a leader from an inspired leader.
In the next session, we talked about understanding the source.  The source is something that helps understand the inner you that is surrounded by all the virtual things that the mind has created and that hinders you from doing what is right. Each and every one of us has a purpose in life, it is just that either we are not clear about it or we often deviate from it. We do things that we think are right but sometimes it makes us to divert from our purpose. While explaining about the source, Anil sir quoted that “When you’re inspired by higher purpose, strange things begins to happen to you”. It is then that one discovers talent he never knew existed in him and become a leader far beyond he thought he would. We also did an exercise of introspection where we asked ourselves the following question and wrote them on a piece of paper:
1.       Who are the people in my life who matter to me the most?
2.       What are their needs I am moved to serve?
3.       How can I leverage my gifts and value to serve those needs?
This opened up a whole new dimension for me to understand the source and hence my purpose.
Then he asked us to think of a time in SOIL when we were at our best, why were we performing so good at that time and what were the reasons that helped us. We then discussed about how to get rid of a bad habit and Anil sir gave an example from his personal life. He said that when we remove H from HABIT, A BIT still remains. When we further remove A, BIT still remains and it is only when we remove the I  (IGO), we would be able to overcome a HABIT. He also said that the only way to overcome fear/ego is unconditional love.
He also said in between that one should not only be initiative but also FINITIATIVE, i.e. to be able to finish what he has initiated.
The last session was the most amazing session of the entire lecture. Anil sir exposed us to a whole new concept that none of us ever heard of, at least I never heard of it before. This was IMMUNITY X-Ray. It says that the first part of change begins by saying the one thing that you want to change, i.e. one aspect you need and want to change. It gives you a clear picture of the weak link in yourself.  In this we again did an exercise questioning ourselves:
1.       What thing I need to change?
2.       What do I do instead?
3.       Hidden competing commitment?
4.       Assumptions or beliefs behind the commitments.
5.       How can one use his own strengths to overcome these assumptions?
6.       Who are the people who have the quality I want to develop?
7.       What are the kinds of things I read or watch to achieve this quality?
8.       Who are the people with whom I’ll spend time?
To sum up, I would say that it was a great learning experience that has triggered me to understand about myself better and think on how transform myself into an inspired leader.




No comments:

Post a Comment