Saturday 17 September 2011

Nidhi Jain_HRLP007_Self Leadership_Sep’11



As very correctly said by someone that “Change is the rule of life that never changes”, but still people have some immunity to change. It’s a human tendency to be reluctant to change. The degree to change varies from person to person; some adapt easily to change while some do not. This takes me to the start of Mr. Anil Sachdev’s 2nd session on self-leadership. He asked each one of us to introspect within each one of ourselves on what to change. With reference to Kegan and Lahey’s book on “Immunity to change”, we were asked to prepare our individual immunity maps. The Immunity map constitutes of 4 quadrants: “One big thing”, “Behavior preventing to change”, “Worry Box” and “Big Assumptions”.

One Big thing relates to what a person wants to change in him or her. Behavior preventing to change relates to what are the things that stop a person to change. Worry box describes the hidden competing commitments which do not allow a person to change and fourthly Big Assumptions relates to what are the assumptions a person has regarding the change that he wants to see in himself. This Immunity x-ray is a very powerful tool in relation to change. As per the transcript shared by Mr. Sachdev, a lot of people have tried this and actually found that their capabilities are not restricted and they can be augmented depending on the will of a person. This immunity map helps people individually and in groups to understand what actually they want to change and what are the things that impede them to do so.

Coming to my immunity map the very basic improvement I want to see in myself is to wake up early in morning and the thing that restricts me to do so is not sleeping on time. Due to one or the other reason somehow it happens that I am not able to sleep on time and the hidden competing commitments are that I cannot delay any of my work to be done in the morning. So I tend to complete all my work at night, which sometimes keeps me awake till late. Secondly, morning sleep tempts me a lot. I love to sleep till late, it gives me kind of satisfaction that I slept well if I have slept till late. My biggest assumption is that I am a nocturnal and getting up early is not my cup of tea. Drawing the Immunity map was the end result of the session and this I have done for couple of more improvements that I see for myself.

This was all that materialized in 2nd half during Anil Sir’s session. In the 1st half we had a session with Snehal ma’am and Susie ma’am on understanding what Self-leadership is all about. They also talked about Stress and how to understand stress and work on it. Then we worked on the stress map and learned about 4 As to tackle stressors. At the end we had a laughter yoga session with Susie ma’am and we all laughed a lot with hour hearts out which continued till the lunch break. We all enjoyed the laughter yoga, being refreshed and recharged.

No comments:

Post a Comment