Saturday 17 September 2011

Vinod krishnan_HRLP013_Self Leadership_Sep'11

Change is something that happens very naturally. The problem with most of us is that we are not conditioned to accept it. Change happens to us in every dimension of life be it personal or professional. Thus it goes well with the clichéd phrase that “change is the only thing that is permanent.” When change results in alteration of behaviour in a positive way the individual evolves as a Human being. But in Most of us there is always a barrier that creates immunity to change. The biggest attributing factor to this immunity is the tendency of the mind to do a task which is convenient or simple. More often than not we expect to produce extra-ordinary results with ordinary efforts.
Many often than not I end up taking resolutions about quitting some of my personal habbits. I stick to the resolution for 2-3 months. But somewhere down the line there seems to be a breaking point for it.  There are many factors which attribute to it
Ø  One is when someone in my peer group had a particular habbit I used to get influenced by them. Initially I am unconsciously immune to it
Ø  Once I become conscious of it , the temptation of making the false assumption that it will give me pleasure continues to be there
Ø  The tendency to focus on short-term pleasure and to overlook the long-term impact. When we become aware of this we are approaching the state where we are consciously released from it.
Ø  The problem with giving up on your resolution and getting influenced by the other person is you allow yourself to fall in your own eyes. Another issue with this is that you are sub-consciously telling yourself that you don’t keep up to commitment. This tends to become a cycle and leads to a behaviour pattern. Sometimes you also tend to feel that the problem is that I resist something which is bound to happen naturally. When the resistance becomes too high you tend to break resolutions. When you make a commitment to yourself and don’t want to watch yourself fall under your own eyes you are consciously released of it.
Ø  The genesis behind any change is the felt need for it.We need to first understand what is it about ourselves that we need to change and what amongst our weakness is something we are okay to accept so that we overcome it with our strengths. The session has thus provided me clarity on why I do ceirtain things and what are some of the key weaknesses that i would like to work upon and how I can complement them with my strengths.


No comments:

Post a Comment