Saturday 17 September 2011

Aarti Gupta_2012HRLP003_Self Leadership_Sep’11


Am I fully present, am I inspired enough to learn, what efforts I am putting in to learn things and do I know how to leverage my own gifts. These were the four questions based on which started the session on self leadership. As leaders of our own self, we have to look deep in to it.  If we hope to be effective leaders of others, we must first be effective leaders of ourselves. That is the core of self leadership which revolves around word I. But as we move through the process of transforming in to true leader, one feels some resistance to their own ways of doing and perceiving things. Why is it that we often want to change, but find that we are unable to do so? Why is change so difficult even when everyone and everything is aligned around the goal? The reason is that most of us have built-in immunity to change.  Immunity to Change helps participants better understand their competing commitments and truly begin to understand the motivation behind behaviour and why change, with all of the best intentions, can be so difficult to master.
     While Mr Anil was creating this self awareness in us, we were made to go through a wonderful exercise of Immunity X ray which consists of 4 levels of deep insight.
The first question in Immunity X-Ray was to look deep inside and identify one such thing that we want to change about our self. As far as my case was concerned, I knew that I want to become more flexible and adaptable to things which are not done my way. As this has often led me to a conflicting situation with others, I want to improve it and become more receptive to ideas that come from outside and understand others perspective also.
The second level of Immunity X-Ray talked about what we do instead of what to do. Why, despite our best intentions, personal change and development do not occur. While answering this question, I realised that even though I want to change my ways of looking in to others perspective but I still end up the way I want things to happen.
As we move ahead, we were told to look in to the hidden competing commitment which makes us incapable to address the point of concern in second stage. In my case, I found that somewhere I feel my ways of doing things are more structured and result oriented which as per others might not be true.
The fourth and final stage is where a person must look in to the mental assumptions that he makes. Assumptions that make us immune to change. I have an assumption that I have at times the 360 degree perspective of things and my own ways of doing things are more structured which certainly I need to work upon.
At the end with this rich and instructive illustration, we found that the immunity process can be used along with our work and life challenges to help us see the picture of what has been authoring us. This central proposition of moving from being held by assumptions to self authoring a new relationship to them is a way to self leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment