Sunday 15 January 2012

Vivek Kumar_BLP044_Consulting_03Jan’12


If there was a day in my non professional career which deserved to be termed as the Consulting Day, it was definitely today. The day started with a lot of action, a lot of adrenalin rush and too much excitement. One of the biggest HR consulting firms “Mercer Consulting” was in our campus, providing us an opportunity of a lifetime by giving us an opportunity to work with them. Along with that, we had a full day class of Consulting Skills by Mr. Anil Sachdev and finally at the end of the day I had to go through a Mckinsey screening process. I knew it is going to be a long and a demanding day but I was up for it.

After the morning circle, Mr. Nishchae Suri , the MD of Mercer Consulting, with his subordinates interacted with us for a while and gave us instructions to approach the first round of the interview. We were told to get in our respective class and we’ll be called as per our turn. With lots of excitement we entered our class, where guru of Consulting Mr. Anil Sachdev awaited us. Though I tried hard to concentrate but was quite difficult to do so with so much action going on in the college.

Finally, I was asked to face my first round of interview which I though went fairly well. And then came the next round which was a group activity which stretched up till lunch. Finally, after lunch we entered our classroom again, feeling much at ease. I would have hardly spent five minutes in class after lunch when I got a call from my friend suggesting that Amber and I have been shortlisted for the third round of interview from BLP. Within 5 minutes we had to make a presentation on “Global Business Strategy” of about 3 minutes.
My heart started pounding again as the time was less I needed to rewind all the concepts of that subject in my brain. I quickly scrambled to get my older notes and quickly swept through them. We ran up to the third floor and again awaited our turn. There were seven other students who had been shortlisted from HRLP too. Finally, I was invited inside to start my presentation. I started off fairly well but could not finish talking within the stipulated amount of time. After coming out of the board room I did a small assessment of my presentation and thought I could have certainly done a better job but I guess that’s the game of time pressure that they were trying to test.

Once I was done I returned back to my Consulting Skills class where we were about to taste the real consulting world. We were presented with the actual finance plan that SOIL was about to present to Axis Bank and were asked to find out loop holes in it. It was a wonderful session where we learning the art of asking the right set of questions which will reveal the maximum amount of information. Though this session was for everyone but Anil sir made this assignment an interview round for all the students who had to be screened for Mckinsey & Co. This was a round where we had to make an impact through the quality of question that we ask and how can we make the proposal to be sent to Axis Bank full proof.  I thought we all as group did a fairly decent job.

Finally, the day was coming to an end and I was asked to describe my day at Soil in three minutes. While I was talking I realized that I could have learnt more about Consulting in one day. It was indeed a tiring day but cannot be anymore exhilarating. The biggest takeaways that I have from my day were that as a consultant I should always know what to ask to get closure to my solution and life of a consultant is full of uncertainties and ambiguities. One must get comfortable with both of them to have a successful career in Consulting.

No comments:

Post a Comment